YMCA Victoria, in consultation with Life Saving Victoria, is implementing some changes around our Watch Around Water policy at the Wangaratta Indoor Sports & Aquatic Centre and outdoor pool facility. The changes apply from Sunday 1 September.
The key changes are around the ratio for the supervision of children especially those under the age of 10.
- 1 adult (over the age of 16) to 2 children under the age of 5 years old in the pool. Child must wear a pink wrist band.
- 1 adult (over the age of 16) to 4 children under the age of 10 years old in the pool. Child must wear a yellow wrist band.
These changes are in addition to the Watch Around Water guidelines already in place at our centres:
Children under 10 years (5-9):
· Must be accompanied into the centre by a responsible parent / guardian
· Must be constantly and actively supervised
· Parents / guardians must position themselves to have a clear view of the child with no physical or structural barriers between them and the child / children
Children under 5 years (0-4):
· Must be accompanied into the centre and the water by a responsible parent / guardian
· Must stay within arm’s reach during recreational play activities
Children 10 years and older:
Parents must use their knowledge of an individual child's swimming ability and general development to determine the level of accompaniment required.
The guidelines apply also to parent and children in swimming lessons at our centres.
It is important to note that from Sunday 1 September, groups/families will not be permitted entry where the number of parents/guardians supervising a group of children under 10 years falls under the ratio of 1:4 (ratio of 1:2 for children under 5).
Example of ratios
- 1 parent: 2 under 5, 2 under 10
- 1 parent 1 under 5, 3 under 10
- 2 parents 4 under 5, 4 under 10
- 2 parents 3 under 5, 5 under 10
- 1 parent 3 under 5
- 1 parent, 3 under 5, 1 under 10
Please be aware of these additional important aspects of the "Watch Around Water" policy which applies at YMCA Victoria's aquatic facilities:
- Children ages under 5 (0 to 4) will be issued a pink wrist band which must be worn at all times. If children are not within arm’s reach of their parent or guardian at all times, they will be removed from the water.
- Children ages under 10 (5 to 9) will be issued a yellow wrist band which must be worn at all times. If children are unsupervised they will be removed from the water.
Please see our aquatics staff team at WISAC for further details
For more information see watcharoundwater.org.au.